A PAIR OF SATINWOOD MARBLE SIDE CABINETS ATTRIBUTED TO HOLLAND & SONS
The rectangular white marble tops above arched panelled doors, enclosing four short drawers, on ogee moulded plinth bases and block feet, both labelled to the reverse, FROGMORE ROOM 34, No.14 and branded inventory marks, VR 1871, FROGMORE HOUSE ROOM)
Provenance: The Royal Family, Room 34, Frogmore House, Windsor.
In 1792 George III bought Frogmore House for Queen Charlotte and their daughters and James Wyatt was employed to enlarge and modernise the house. On Queen Charlottes death in 1818 Frogmore was inherited by Princess Augusta and when she died in 1840 Queen Victoria gave is to her own mother, the Dowager Duchess of Kent, where it was fitted out for her needs. When the Duchess died in 1861 Queen Victoria commissioned one of the first photographic studies of any country house at Frogmore. From 1866-1873 one of Victorias daughters, the Princess Helena lived there with her husband Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein. From there onwards the Royal Family used Frogmore on various occasions, including Queen Mary who used Frogmore to keep various Royal souvenirs as a private family museum. Frogmore eventually became publicly accessible in 1990.
Holland and Sons rose from their origins in the early 19th century to become, by the middle years of the century, a rival to Gillow and one of the greatest English furniture producers. Recorded as early as 1815, as Taprell and Holland, by 1843 under the auspices of William Holland, a relative of the Regency architect Henry Holland, they formed a business alliance with Thomas Dowbiggin of 23 Mount Street, who had made the state throne for Victorias Coronation. They also worked successfully as undertakers and were responsible for the Duke of Wellingtons funeral. Under William Holland the firm became cabinetmakers and upholsterers to the Queen, their first commission being for Osborne House in 1845, supplying furniture in the Queens favoured Louis XVI style. They continued to supply furniture for Osborne until 1869 but gained further commissions for Windsor Castle, Balmoral and Marlborough House. Hollands also worked for many leading institutions including the Reform and Athenaeum Clubs, the British Museum and the Royal Academy. Along with Gillows they shared the commission for the new Houses of Parliament. The participated in many of the important International Exhibitions including London in 1862, Vienna in 1873 and Paris in 1867 and 1872. The Hollands labelled day books are now housed in the National Archive of Art and Design in London and present a virtual whos who of 19th century society.